BYO Wireless To Merge With Budget Mobile On September 1, Plans Vary By State
Update:BYO Wireless customer support representative confirmed that effective of September 1, 2015, all BYO customer accounts will be migrated to either Budget Mobile or Selectel Wireless.
BYO Wireless that operates on T-Mobile and Verizon network will soon be merged with Budget Mobile, a Lifeline provider and a BYO’s parent company. According to reports on Howard Forums, BYO Wireless customers have started receiving emails from the carrier that inform them of BYO merging with Budget Mobile on September 1, 2015.
BYO Wireless hasn’t been activating new lines for some time now so some sort of change was expected. There is no official announcement on this change or how things would work from September 1, since BYO is offering service in some states where Budget Mobile doesn’t operate. A Howard Forums user ‘haasfamily’ has been told by BYO representative that customers won’t stay without service when they migrate to Budget Mobile even if they are in a not authorized state:
“I never received an email but I just called them & the rep said nobody’s BYO service will be cut off when they transition over to Budget Mobile regardless of where you live. However she couldn’t say what plans, if any, would be offered by Budget Mobile in states they are not authorized to offer Lifeline services. All she could say is that management is aware they have BYO customers in states where Budget Mobile is not authorized to offer Lifeline. I guess I’m in limbo right now until they figure this out.”
According to other reports from different BYO customers, Budget Mobile will be offering different plans for different states. Most of them are worse than current BYO plans. For example, BYO customer from New Jersey has been sent the following options when migrate to Budget Mobile, plans and add-ons:
- $5 – 100 voice minutes and 100 texts
- $10 – 250 voice minutes and 250 texts
- $15 – 350 voice minutes, unlimited text and 50MB of data
- $20 – 500 voice minutes, unlimited text 250MB of data
- $30 – 1000 voice minutes, unlimited text and 400MB of data
- $40 – unlimited talk, unlimited text and 500MB of data
Add-ons available are:
- $5 – 100 voice minutes or 1000 texts or 100MB of data
- $10 – 250 voice minutes or 2000 texts or 250MB of data
- $15 – 400 voice minutes or 4000 texts or 400MB of data
On the other side, Budget plans for BYO users in California will include only three quite not competitive options:
- $40 plan – unlimited minutes and unlimited texts
- $45 plan – unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 250MB of data.
- $50 plan – unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 3GB of data.
Although situation with plans that will be available from September 1, 2015 for BYO users on Budget Mobile is currently confusing, it’s only logical that carrier will sort is out in time to let customers decide and choose what’s the best for them without worrying of losing their number.
Source: Byo Wireless