Cricket Wireless Changes Plans, Brings Back Unlimited 2 Plan and Lowers Group Save Discounts
AT&T’s prepaid brand Cricket Wireless announced changes on its prepaid plan offerings. The carrier has improved the $30 and the $40 plans by adding additional gigabyte of data. The $30 plan now includes 2GB of data instead of previous 1GB while data on the $40 plan increase from 4GB to 5GB. In addition, Cricket brings back Unlimited 2 Plan, which offers two lines for $80, for a limited time.
Cricket’s Unlimited 2 Plan
On the Unlimited 2 Plan customers can add up to four lines for $25 per month (2-5). Each line on the plan includes unlimited talk, text and high speed data limited to 3Mbps. Video streaming is optimized at around 480p (1.5Mbps) while data speeds additionally may slow down when 22GB is reached due to network congestion. The Unlimited 2 Plan also comes with unlimited texts to 38 countries and data roaming as well as unlimited calling, messaging to and from Mexico, Canada and the U.S.. The plan is eligible to $5 autopay discount and to mobile hotspot add-on, 8GB of high speed data, which is available for $10 extra per month.
Other changes that Cricket Wireless has introduced include discontinuing the $50/8GB data plan. Besides 8GB of high speed data, this plan used to offer unlimited talk, text and data, unlimited international texting to 38 countries, unlimited calling, texting and data roaming in Mexico and Canada for $45 with auto pay.
New Cricket Wireless Plans
After all the above mentioned changes, Cricket is now offering following plan options:
- $25 feature phone plan – unlimited talk and text, no data
- $30 plan – unlimited talk, text and data with 2GB at high speed (was 1GB)
- $40 plan ($35 with auto pay) – unlimited talk, text and data with 5GB at 4G LTE (was 4GB)
- $55 Unlimited 2 plan ($50 with auto pay) – unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data limited to 3Mbps, unlimited international texting to 38 countries, unlimited calling, texting and data roaming in Mexico and Canada (limited time offer)
- $60 plan ($55 with auto pay) – unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data, unlimited international texting to 38 countries, unlimited calling, texting and data roaming in Mexico and Canada
High speed data on all Cricket data plans is limited to 8Mbps for LTE and 4Mbps for 4G. Only the Unlimited 2 Plan offers unlimited data limited to 3Mbps.
Cricket’s New Group Save Plan discounts
Cricket Wireless has also changed the Group Save discounts. The new discounts are now lower on the fourth and fifth line. This results in increasing the cost of the service for families with more than three members. Family plan for four and five lines on the $40 plan was available for $100 per month. That’s changed now so four lines on this plan cost $110 (4th line is $20 off, was $30). Five lines cost $130 since 5th line is $20 off (was $40) per month. With new discounts, $10 on second line and $20 on the lines 3-5, customers can save up to $70.
Customers with the old Group Save discounts and those on the $50/8GB plan are grandfathered.